Re: Nepenthes Stuff

From: Necropsy69@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 18:51:36 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 21:51:36 EST
From: Necropsy69@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Stuff

Capestany wrote:

>1. Is there really a need to separate highland and lowland species because
>of temperature? Couldn't they all just grow together in the same terrarium
>with a "medium" temperature?

Well, from my experience of growing both highland and lowland species in the
same terrarium, I've noticed that a large percentage of my highland plants are
not producing pitchers, since the termperature and humidity is only
significant to lowland nepenthes, which makes up a large portion of my
nepenthes collection. Highland nepenthes enjoy temperatures around 60-65,
which is around the middle of the their temperature range. IT's not too high
and it's not too low. But, lowland nepenthes don't grow properly in these
temperatures. Lowland nepenthes enjoy temperatures around the 75-85 degree
range(or higher), which highland species don't grow that great in.

>2. Is there any big difference in the type of soil needed between
>highlanders and lowlanders? Is an "all live sphagnum with a bit of charcoal
>and perlite" mixture okay for Neps? Which soil mix can go the longest
>without going bad?

Well, alot of growers prefer to have some sort of mixture, some of them being
extremely complicated. I have successfully grown both highland and lowland
nepenthes in live sphagnum moss. It provides a nice green background, it
doesn't decompose quickly(since it's alive), and it absorbs water and retains
it very well. Not only that, but it provides humidity around the plant as
well. So, you don't really need to get technical when it comes to soil types.
At least, I don't think so.

>3. To support my Nepenthes as they get taller I was thinking of adding some
>kind of branch or something natural that would add a nice touch to my
>terrarium. Is the "driftwood" sold at pet shops for aquariums O.K. for my
>Neps? Can I just go to the forest and cut off any old branch and stick it in
>my terrarium, or is there a special process that it has to go through to
>prevent it from rotting or releasing bad chemicals into the soil?

Well, alot of growers cut the stem back, because as the plant grows larger,
not only does it put stress on the plant, but the leaves growing near the base
of the plant begin to die, decreasing the plant's beauty. So, instead of
allowing it to grow larger with some type of a support, the stem is cut into
sections and placed in containers to produce new plants(vegetative
reproduction). This is very significant and beneficial because you still have
the mother plant producing new stems, and you also have many cuttings which
will eventually grow into plants identical to the mother plant.

But, if you don't want to cut your nepenthes back, you can go outside and cut
a small stem off of a tree (preferably a pine tree) and support your plant
with it by inserting the stem into the soil which accupies the space around
the plant and rap a string around the stem of the tree and the stem of your
plant, thus connecting them. But, the when doing this, make sure you don't
damage the roots of your nepenthes. And one more thing; the stem of the tree
will not last a lifetime, remember that. It will eventually die and get moldy,
especially when contained in a humid area. This could infect your nepenthes.

>4. Does the legendary "Superthrive" really exist? I have gone from Wal-Marts
>to super-specialized nurseries asking about it but no one knows what it
i>s!!! Is there any place in Virginia that sells it?

Superthrive, from what I know, is not this very popular solution. But, then
again, I haven't used it, so you're better off asking someone else.

Well, I hope this answers most of your questions. If you have any more
questions to ask, feel free to e-mail me. I'm always willing to answer 'em.

Bye for now
Behrad