Re: Feeding VFTs

From: Necropsy69@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 19:03:50 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:03:50 EST
From: Necropsy69@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Feeding VFTs

>1) Does sphagnum moss only grow in Canada, the USA and Australia, or can
>t be that they are indigenous to South Africa as well ?

In some of the pictures I have viewed on the internet of nepenthes, I noticed
that in some of pictures, there was sphagnum growing around the nepenthes,
which were photographed in the wild. So, I believe sphagnum moss grows in
Indonesia as well.

>1) Can a VFT survive without food ? If not, how long ? What would happen
>if it gets too hungry, will its growth slow down ?

Well, they don't get "hungry," but if they are not fed at all for a long
period of time, there might be some growth problems. But, all VFTs really need
is direct sunlight, high humidity, and a nice wet medium. If you can provide
these conditions, essencial for VFT growth, you don't really need to worry
about feeding. But, it wouldn't hurt to throw in a small cricket into one of
the traps every month or so.

>2) I've seen pictures of VFT where the leaf length : trap length ratio
>is about 1.5 : 1. Mine is about 3 : 1 to 4 : 1. What determines this
>ratio, could it be light intensity ?

The overall conditions is what determines their growth. But, there are
different types of VFTs. Such as the 'dentate,' 'dentata,' bear trap form, and
all of those mutants. So, I can't tell ya what exactly is causing the plants
to grow so large. But, light is one of the major ingredients.

Well, if you have any other questions, let me know.

Bye for now
Behrad