CPs in Amsterdam

From: j sullivan (jsulliva@Eclipse.net)
Date: Mon Feb 16 1998 - 20:36:18 PST

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:36:18 -0800
From: j sullivan <jsulliva@Eclipse.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CPs in Amsterdam

During a recent vacation trip to Amsterdam I had the opportunity to
observe CPs in several different locales:

1. Hortus Botanicus - The otherwise excellent display inside the
botanical garden was marred by the nearly complete lack of CPs inside
the special enclosure built for them in a climate-controlled chamber.

2. Local shop near 300 on Herrengracht canal - this corner store had
several healthy-looking "Sarracenia hybrid" pitchers for sale in 5"
plastic pots.

3. Bloemenmarket - the flower sellers on the Singel canal offered just
about everything, including CPs. Pitcher plants labeled "Venus schoen"
were seen in one shop (aboard a floating barge). These were not VFTs.

4. I purchased a book in Amsterdam entitled "Plants and Flowers of
Malaysia." There are excellent photos of Utricularia aurea, Nepenthes
bicalcarata (Two-spurred pitcher plant), and 7 other species of
Nepenthes. The shot of N. macfarlanei is interesting in presenting the
habit of 2 apparently pigment-free pitchers (both chlorophyll and
anthocyanin). The author is Ivan Polunin. Times Editions, Singapore,
1992 reprint date. Cost about $25. ISBN 981-204-021-8.

Jack