Re:N. merrilliana cultivation

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 1998 - 18:14:45 PST

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:14:45 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:N. merrilliana cultivation

Trent here in the office at R.B.'s. I have brought up this topic before,
in less direct fashion, so here it is:
anybody having success with Nepenthes merrilliana? I have gained the
following information concerning its natural habitat via site photos or
direct responses from some of you out there who have had the opportunity
to see this species growing in its natural habitat.
1. N merrilliana grows on sloped land (ie. hillsides) implying rapid
drainage.

2. N merrilliana grows in a reddish, iron rich soil, probably lateritic
in composition.

3. very high rainfall in its natural habitat (like most Nepenthes)

$. A true lowlander. (I get red spotting on the leaves if the
temperature drops below 55 dgrees F., just like rafflesiana and
bicalcarata)

So far, I have met its needs in temperature, sunlight, water/humidity.,
but I don't think it likes traditional
Nepenthes soil (you Nep growers know what I mean- perlite, peat, fir
bark ).

Anybody out there in CP land have any ideas or experiences to relate?

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida