"wimpy" leaves on my flytrap

From: David Konerding (dek@cgl.ucsf.EDU)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 08:38:05 PST

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 98 08:38:05 -0800
From: David Konerding <dek@cgl.ucsf.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: "wimpy" leaves on my flytrap

Dear CP aficionados:

I have recently purchased a venus flytrap. After reading the care FAQ,
I have done basically what is necessary to have a healthy VF. I'm
using reverse osmosis water. I've fed it a few times and it seems to like
flies, potato bugs, and cockroaches.

The leaves don't have any "rigor"; they all basically hang down over the
edges of the pot. Two new leaves have grown in the 3-4 weeks that I've
had the plant, and they are beginning to form the trap (it's fascinating
to watch the traps grow, by the way). However, these leaves also seem
to lack rigor .

Does anybody have any advices? It doesn't seem to be harmful to have
the leaves hanging down, although it's aesthetically not as pleasing,
the leaves may dip into the standing water below the pot, and they seem
less able to attract flies on their own this way.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to increase the rigor of the leaves?

Dave
Email: dek@cgl.ucsf.edu David Konerding WWW: http://picasso.ucsf.edu/~dek