Re: Re: Propagation of Mexician PINGS

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 18:01:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 17 Feb 98 21:01 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Propagation of Mexician PINGS

Dear Marco,

> Though i wasn't successful to get seeds at all. Does anyone know how
> to pollinate these plants, at least the "everyday" moranensis,
> esseriana and gypsicola ?

I'm not sure if they are all self-fertile or not, but of the few
Mexican species I've selfed did set seed.
   Look inside the flower, you should see a tiny hole and below that
is a flap. Under the flap is the pollen. A tooth pick can be used
to gently remove some pollen from under the flap and then the pollen
needs to be placed into or very near the hole. Some flowers are large
enough to see all the details, others are too small and a hand lens
might help.

> Also i would be pleasant to know if anyone has experience in growing
> plants of the kind of primuliflora, my young plants grow next to my
> Nepenthes, but as soon as they have flowered the first time they rot.

   Well, P.primuliflora might do well with Nepenthes that like their
soils very wet, wet enough for Sphagnum moss to grow. P.primuliflora
can be easily grown in a wide pot with a layer of peat:sand (1:1) topped
with living Sphagnum moss. I've have seen these plants in the wild and
can tell you that they grow very well in Sphagnum moss as some plants
were approaching six inches wide. I'm unaware of any other way to grow
this plant successfully besides TC. Maybe sand:peat at 6-8:1 would also
work...

Dave Evans