Re: John in Phoenix

From: Randall T. Palmer (ccp108@juno.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 19:57:10 PST

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:57:10 EST
From: ccp108@juno.com (Randall T. Palmer)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: John in Phoenix

        John you are right, if that is all that you do, Venus is a very
mysterious creature, plus the fact the plants in the plastic tubs have a
multiplying agent, that takes it from the rizone in the test tube to many
plants, and so far to get the plant to live through the muck nats (not
using this as a cop out,I agree it's not what we're talking about) is
also challenging but can be done.
        Some of the Venuses that I have, have gone through two Winters,
but they were put in the top of a 5 gallon,Tri-Pure water bottle with
pure pete in the bottom, put in with mostly root exposed then the roots
were pushed into pete with water to top of medium, a drop of diluted
fertilizer water and later some diluted baking soda water. (Now live
Spagnium want to grow in the same spot) I have given away a few Venuses,
diluted fert. treated, that were raffled off at some Carnivorous
meetings I have attended or giving to our meeting, visitors.
        Don't know about anybody else's experiences with this baking soda
water, with one exception Carl maintains that it breaks down the pete to
quickly, not one of my establish Carnivorous plant, have bit the dust,
with the exception of Utric's (the mixture that I use could kill the bugs
that the bladders like to suck in). Plus the survival rate on
Carnivorous transplants is much, much higher, One Exception on Utric's
where some Sandersonii in a bog laced with baking soda that was put on
display at the Tampa FL County Fair.