Re: CP's

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 17:22:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 25 Feb 98 20:22 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP's

> I tuned out of CP digest for a while because of the rubbish that has been
> clogging the system. That is the personal attacks that are taking place
> through the digest. I grow CP and I want ot share some information about
> seedling, N. madagascarensis. Do not overwater and they do not like too
> high humidity. Sorry Cindy, they germinated well but they turned black and
> died under a plastic propagator cover.

Hello Meryl and Cindy,

   This morning, I repotted some of the seedling S.madagascarensis
which grew from seed send by Cindy. It's odd, but some are growing
very fast while others are lagging greatly. One seedling is nearly
an inch across already! Most are still only producing their second
or third leaves though and there is third group still sending up
cotyledon.
   All are growing in the same pot and should be getting similar
conditions. On the other hand, Meryl has send me a several types
of seed (N.ampullaria never did show; but N.rafflesiana, N.raff
* (ampullaria * mirablis), and N.rafflesiana * truncata did!
Though only two of that last one came up and one damped-off :( )
The seedlings from Meryl grow at similar rates, however and most plants
are about the same size.
   Cindy, are the seeds you sent me from several plants or just one?
I think Meryl's seeds tend to be from one plant at a time, though I'm
not sure. Can the different rates of growth I see in N.madagascarensis
be attributed to having numerous parents in the wild and thus greater
diversity, or is N.madagascarensis very variable? The TC plant who's
care I recently asked about has been kept drier, but it is still failing.
I'm starting to think that some of the these seedlings, which are kept
wetter are going over take it, if it keeps living.

Confused by N.madagascarensis,
Dave Evans