Re: Germination / Fungus & Slime / D.nidiformis, etc.

From: Stefan Sehnbruch (UGA0@bk.huels.de)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 00:31:44 PST

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:31:44 +0100
From: Stefan Sehnbruch <UGA0@bk.huels.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Germination / Fungus & Slime / D.nidiformis, etc.

>>> "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com> 25.02.98 21.51 >>>
>Hello CPers.

Hello Matt!

[... cut ...]

>One of my friends recommended spraying a mild listerine+water solution

Sorry, can you explain me what listerine is?

>over the surface of pots covered with unwanted growth and also
>recommended pouring boiling water over pots before planting. Anyone do
>either of these? She's an expert fern-grower but hasnt tried this with
>any CP so I thought I should ask beforehand.

Once I tried the boiling water method. My experience:
The first week it was really good, no fungus at all. But then suddenly most
of the seed was heavily infected with fungus

I had much success with the following mehod: I just prepare soil and seed
as usual but for watering I use water from my CP-aquarium (it is filled about
3 inch high with water).
It seems to contain a well balanced mixture of microorganisms that can
protect soil and seed from being infected with fungus or algae.
If you haven't got such a CP tank, you can try watering a really healthy (no
fungus no slime) CP. Collect the water that leaks out of the pot and add it
to the water for the new pot.
You can even try combining the boiling method with the inoculation
method.
First pour boiling water on the soil, wait until cold, add the seed and then
inoculate with the water from other CPs.

>Happy growing,
>Matt

The same to you!

Stefan