Re: a few questions

From: Russell Elliott (elliott@nexus.edu.au)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 00:23:41 PST

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:53:41 +1030 (CST)
From: elliott@nexus.edu.au (Russell Elliott)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: a few questions

>Also I have a S. Oreophilla x Leucophylla which has been sending out dummy
pitchers
>(like the winter pitchers half the full size with a very small unformed hood
>, whole blade bending backwards) since about October & I can't work out why.
>... humidity / water seems ok & is getting lots of light in the greenhouse,
>it's still Summer here. Any ideas? I guess at this stage I should just let
> it go dormant & hope that it will come back as it should in Spring.
>
>Thanks.
>Mark - OZ.

 Mark,

 My S.oreophila plants exhibit the same behavior at this time of year
in Australia. It is a natural adaptation to their natural habitat. The
area in which they grow (or by now, *grew*) is much drier than other
Sarracenia habitats. The plants respond to these conditions by only
sending pitchers up for a few months. These then wither, and are replaced
by the "phyllodia", which I think you described. Since your plant
is a hybrid with S.leucophylla, it sounds like these oreophila
charachteristics are the most dominant. S. leucophylla also has the
strange habit of producing a number or large healthy pitchers at
the beginning, and again at the end of the growing season. The
pitchers produced between these times are often deformed.

I hope this info helps,

        -Russell

PS The seed bank page has been redone, and is updated regulalry. The
URL is:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/4247/seed.htm

! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director, !
! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society. !
! Sorry, due to limited stocks, seed only available to members. !
! mailto:elliott@nexus.edu.au !
! Please Direct membership enquiries to Brian Denton at: !
! mailto:bdenton@camtech.net.au !
! ACPS Home Page: http://www.camtech.net.au/acps !