Cephs, Neps + Utrics

From: Stuart Haxton (stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 28 1998 - 10:28:27 PST

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:28:27 +0000
From: Stuart Haxton <stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cephs, Neps + Utrics

Hi everyone,
          Sorry for my absence!
I was musing over plants in general yesterday, and I wondered if the
dark red colouration and hair on cephalotus traps could have a similar
attraction to certain bugs as rotting meat? (nice thought) There is a
desert flower that uses this method for pollination.
        This would most likely be a solely visual effect, and on landing
on the traps would the bugs be pleasantly surprised by the nectar?
        Also, some of the leaves on some of my nepenthes are beginning
to turn yellow, although the plants are making reasonable growth. I
don't know why this is happening, although being a beginner I could be
doing anything imaginable wrong. Could anyone post me some suggestions?
        I have heard that some Utrics like similar conditions to
highland Nepenthes. Which ones? I am also interested in trying some
orchids...who should I ask for advice?
        Has anyone tried growing Utrics in the water reservoirs of
bromeliads; it is a practice I would like to attempt but I'm not sure
how to go about it.

--
Stuart Haxton