Re: Cultivar Stuff

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Sun Mar 01 1998 - 10:02:51 PST

Date:          Sun, 1 Mar 1998 10:02:51
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Cultivar Stuff

Dear Peter,

I do not think that correct naming of carnivorous plants is in any way
comparable to religion or fanatism. It is rather a question of
discipline and respect for the cp community who has to live and deal
with the available names.

Sorry, but I seem to be unable to get the point why it is necessary or
beneficial to bogus-name and distribute plants or to drop even a
single word about them *before* they are named properly. Could someone
please explain this to me?

> I do have a question for Jan, however, about one point he's made
> several
> times. You state that a "cultivar group" can't be named without first
> naming a "cultivar". I have crossed many Sarracenia hybrids, some of
> them quiet complex. As I grow them out, if I notice an outstanding
> plant or two, I put them aside to evaluate them as a possible future
> cultivar. This is more or less what I've learned from Slack's books,
> (...)

While Slack's attitudes towards breeding were indeed exemplary, his
concept of naming the plants was not entirely so. Fortunately, at
least some of his cultivars were described in his books.

> While all of the plants in this or that hybrid cross may be
> attractive,

If they are "attractive" (even as a population of genetically
different plants) or at least distinguishable from other cultivars,
this is sufficient for cultivar selection.

> usually none are so drop dead gorgous that I would want to name it
> as a "cultivar" to preserve its status vegatatively.

You do not need to preserve the status of a cultivar vegetatively. A
cultivar does not need to be a clone (cf. my previous message).

> Do I still have to choose at least one "cultivar" from this
> group in order to establish a "cultivar group"?

Yes.

> Couldn't I just name the whole "group" without singling out one
> particular plant?

Not as a cultivar-group.

There is of course the possibility to name the hybrid as a taxon. This
taxon would include all hybrids involving the same parents
(irrespective of direction and repetition of the crosses). It would
require a protologue with type specimen, Latin description, etc. as
outlined in the ICBN.

Kind regards
Jan