Intro + Nep Tissue culture Questions

From: Ben BK Sinclair (SINCLAIRBK@crop.cri.nz)
Date: Mon Mar 02 1998 - 18:46:10 PST

Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 14:46:10 +1200
From: Ben BK Sinclair <SINCLAIRBK@crop.cri.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Intro + Nep Tissue culture Questions

Hello everybody

I'm Ben, I have been interested in growing cps for some years now
and have finally got around to starting a reasonible collection. I have
around 30 neps and 14 other cps including some Sarras, VFTs and
Cepholotus.

I have a few questions about the tissue culture of Nepenthes seed.
Does Nep seed need a dormancy period and if so how do you break the
dormancy ? What is the best way to surface sterilize the seed and what
sort of media do I put the seed on ? I had thought about using hormone
free MS media. Once germination has taken place do I need to put the
seed on a proliferation media of some kind containing any hormones ?
Thank you in advance for your advice.

BEN.