Re: Carnivorous Bromeliads

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 13:54:40 PST

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:54:40 -0500
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Carnivorous Bromeliads

     Hi All,
      Charles here in Va. I have some concerns growing Brocchinia reducta
     and need some professional advice. I currently have two plants that
     were given to me a year ago. One plant is currently growing in the
     greenhouse while the other plant is growing inside a large aquarium,
     inside my house. I admit, I can just about grow anything including a
     dead branch, but the Brocchinia reducta has me a little stumped. My
     plants seem to grow fair in the spring and summer, but they seem to
     just hang on during winter. My greenhouse plant seems to suffer
     greatly during winter months even though the greenhouse stays well
     above freezing, but cool during the evening hours and very warm during
     day hours. If there's anyone who would like to share their growing
     tips with the group, please send them in. This would includes: best
     soil to use, growing conditions, winter conditions, moisture needs and
     of course what not to do or anything else they have to offer. The more
     advance,
                    Charles Brewer