Brocchinea growing tips

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 17:51:48 PST

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:51:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Brocchinea growing tips

Hi Folks,
        Here's how I grow my Brocchinea reducta. I now have dozens,
though only 6 clones so far.
        They are potted in a very sandy mix of mainly sand and peat, with
some perlite thrown in. Mostly sand.
        They are grown in a heated greenhouse with a south exposure that
is shaded to about 40% from late april-early may until oct.1 or so.
Otherwise it is only the shade value of the corrugated fibreglass and
plastic, aprox 15-20% or less.
        Temps in winter when the heat is on are 50-55' by night, 75-85+ by
day, depending on whether or not we get sunshine. I have seen it spike
100'f on sunny days before I get out there to remove the styrofoam slab
that keeps the cold air from leaking into the vents at night.
temps in summer when the heater is off, and the slab removed from the
vents are 60'f by night and 85' by day.
        Humidity averages in winter about 60% or more, summer is around
40% before I water. I really need to install a swamp cooler, when they no
longer cost $600.00 that is.
        I water in winter about every third or fourth day, depending on
the state of the Nepenthes that are in the greenhouse. In the summer I
water heavily every day.
        Feeding...none at all.
        Basically I grow Nepenthes and a couple of dozen funny looking
plants masquarading as Nepenthes. These bromeliads grow very well, two
have bloomed and both have produced many pups. Any one want to buy a pup.
I ignore the bromeliads, treating them like Nepenthes. They seem to like
this.
        Hints on understanding the language of Brocchinea. If the leaves
are pale, or yellowish and the plant looks like a department store
Bromeliad, ie all flared out up top, then it is not getting adequate
light. It likes LOTS of light. It should be in a tight tube like roll to
be happiest. Mine are close, but if I give them more light I will sun
burn the Nepenthes.
        The 'tank' should be kept watered. Water with fresh water from
the top.
        Copper is deadly to Bromeliads. Beware treasted lumber and some
insecticides.
        Scale is attraced to Brocchinea. Oil/soap/water spray works
wonders, especially when used in conjunction with a cotten swab that
removes the visible pests. This way you can see if there is a return.
        Good luck and any questions, feel free to ask!
        Good growing
        Andrew