Re: N. vent./burkei refried

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 17:46:45 PST

Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:46:45 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. vent./burkei refried

Hi Dave,

Trent here in Fl. I have since seen other photos of N. burkei, and must
admit they look exactly like ventricosa. The one plant I mentioned
before was a burkei growing amongst a bunch of ventricosa, and it stood
out by having more funnel shaped pitchers than its similar aged
ventricosa cousins. In other words, I was not comparing a seedling
burkei to a group of mature ventricosa. They were all the same age;
young plants coming out of the "seedling stage".

Atlanta Botanical Gardens supposedly has a real N. burkei. Anyone up
there know about this?

But still, I have seen greater variation amongst individual clones of N.
maxima, N rafflesiana, and N. mirabilis. Like you, I would like to know
what scientifically differentiates N. burkei as a species from N.
ventricosa Why is it not considered a variation of N ventricosa, as N.
echinostoma is a variation of N. mirabilis?

Similarly, does N petiolata really exist? Every photo I've seen of it
looks like a variety of N. alata. It even grows in the same place as N.
alata. I'd like to know the answer to this one too.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida