Re:more vent/burkei vicariants

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 20:02:15 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:02:15 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:more vent/burkei vicariants

Trent here in sunny Pompano Beach. Jan, I found your response to the
ventricosa/burkei questions fascinating. Wow! Vicariants (new word for
me. A group of species within a genus that are morphologically
similar?) geographically starting in the north with N. ventricosa
running south to New Guinea with N. insignis and N. treubiana... where
can I find out more about this?

years ago by a fellow named Peter Sang, it is exactly inbetween the two
species. I've heard some comment that it is actually a natural hybrid
between truncata and petiolata, but I have my doubts. If I use the
Danser picture of petiolata, I definitely believe it is alata x
truncata. Anyway, it looks nothing like the pictured plant from
Longwood Gardens. During the summer, this natural hybrid will produce
pitchers up to fourteen inches long! It also has a much more flared
peristome than N. alata, although not as prominent and flared as N.
truncata.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida