White flowered Drosera capensis

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 14:01:40 PST

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:01:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: White flowered Drosera capensis

Rob,

Thanks for the information about the white-flowered Drosera capensis. I
see it mentioned as alba from time to time (another outlaw name, I am
afraid).

I can help you with the following other plants:

> D. capensis "Crestate" ("Cristate"?)
>
> Oxford Botanic Gardens also has a group of plants named D. capensis
> "Merry-go-round", which appears to be a cultivar (or possibly even a
> hybrid) of D. capensis.

These two plants are both D. capensis. The crestate plant was shown in
several photographs of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter over the years. The
apical meristem was apparently teratological, i.e. malformed, perhaps by
some virus or other pathology. It made weird clumping plants. This
sometimes appeared in the roots, if I remember correctly.

The "Merry-Go-Round" plant was a specimen that, I am told, when viewed
from above had a definite spiral to the entire plant. All the leaves were
slightly curled in one direction. I observed this on a specimen I grew of
D. chrysolepis for a few years. It is very interesting...

Cheers

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter