Re: Re: N. vent./burkei --> N. petiolata and N. alata x truncata

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Sat Mar 14 1998 - 01:05:00 PST

Date:    Sat, 14 Mar 98 04:05 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: N. vent./burkei --> N. petiolata and N. alata x truncata

Hello Rich,

> >> teeth extended internally to 3 mm". This makes me think that the
> >> pictures I have seen labelled N. petiolata probably are alata.
> >
> Dave Evans replies:
> > truncate leaves and looks rather like what I expect from an
> > F1 hybrid between N.truncata and N.alata. Oh, this one has three
> > very prominent nerves, I can see them from across the room as
> > the light strikes the unfurling leaves.
>
> Does it have the prominent teeth on the peristome?

   I checked the pitchers out, and no, they don't have any teeth, but
the ribs on the peristome are quite prominent.

> Wow! I'm glad you brought that up because I have had the same
> thought / question. CPN vol 21 no 4 p 103 right? As near as I can
> tell, this plant is the spitting image of a plant I grow labelled N.
> alata which I got from Botanique originally. This makes me
> wonder if my plant is actually a hybrid, the plant pictured is
> mislabelled or N. truncata is packed full of recessive genes !!

I think that photo in question is a typo, showing _N.alata_. The leaves
are far too narrow and the petiole too short to show _N.truncata_ influence.
Never mind an F1 hybrid. If it is a hybrid, I feel there must be a lot
more alata than truncata in that mix. I'm fairly sure the plant I have
labled N.petiolata is an F1 hybrid between these two species as it does
look just like a blend of the features displayed by these two... I
received this one from Tom Kahl, but I have forgotten if he mentioned
any of this clone's history. It is a great plant and the pitchers last
a long time, producing copious nectar from the lid which flows down onto
the peristome, giving it a very shiny, slick look. Oh, it is a foot+
tall, but there still isn't much internodal distance, infact you can't
really see the stem for all the petioles wrapping onto it.

Dave Evans