Re:Gemmae germination

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 21:05:44 PST

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 00:05:44 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Gemmae germination

Susan Ziegler in CP digest 1392 wrote:

Is there any way that the
gemmaes in the dried out trays have survived?

Sure! As long as your gemmae were not put in a closed container in the sun
just water them down again with rain or distilled water and keep the medium
moist. I recently had the same thing happen to a pot containing D. callistos
gemmae. The pot was left in a south window, forgotten for several weeks.
When I found it the medium resembled the Arizona desert in July. After
watering it again and leaving the pot sitting in 2cm of distilled water I
noticed germination after a few days! Also, I have never covered my indoor
pots while germinating drosera gemmae. The constantly wet medium takes care
of that for you. As an added precaution I hit all indoor pots with a
dilution of Benomyl fungicide once in a while to ward off infections.

One other note- a good mix for pygmy drosera is 30/70 peat-sand.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com