Re: Martha's coming!

From: CALIFCARN (CALIFCARN@aol.com)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 16:35:09 PST

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:35:09 EST
From: CALIFCARN <CALIFCARN@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Martha's coming!

Howdy folks, Peter here on the edge of the Pacific Plate. I've had a few
calls about the Martha Stewart Living Magazine piece, so I thought I'd mention
it here. Yes, in the April edition of Martha Stewart Living magazine there is
an article about terrariums with a full page photo of a so-so terrarium of
some carnivores. They plug the nursery and upcoming book (The Savage Garden).
Unfortunately the brief info on carnivores in terrariums leaves much to be
desired, but its a start.
     For those of you not in the United States, Martha Stewart has a magazine
and TV show, and Time magazine calls here the third most powerful woman in
America, after Hillary Clinton and Oprah Winfrey, another TV star. That's
debateable.
     A couple of years ago the staff at the magazine called for our catalogue.
Last year one of the editors ordered a bunch of plants from our nursery. We
sent them out but she called back and said Martha took them all home when she
saw them and we had to send more! Some people mentioned they saw lovely
trumpet plants on her patio table in Connecticut in the background of some of
her TV shows, like when she decided to paint her barn or something.
     Anyway, Ten Speed Press sent the Martha Stewart folks a photocopied
version of The Savage Garden last week. This morning I got a call from one of
the television people from her show. They're coming on Sunday! We're all
running around like crazy trying to clean up and wondering what we should
wear! They're apparently scouting out places to highlight on the TV show,
and want to check us out. Martha comes to Sonoma County about once or twice a
year to do shows on oyster farming or wine tasting or horticultural things.
So wish us luck! Peter
     P.S. The local media here has had a lot of fun whenever Ms. Stewart has
visited Sonoma County, because her visits have sometimes been disasterous.
Last year she was almost electricuted at the oyster farm and fell into a pig
trough. We'll keep her away from our Nepenthes rajahs!