new member and question about Sphagnum

From: jose.gengler@usa.net
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 07:01:26 PST

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 07:01:26
From: jose.gengler@usa.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: new member and question about Sphagnum

Hi!

I am Jose Gengler, I write from Chile and I am a Medical Doctor. I
got interested in carnivorous plants as a private biological
challenge, as some other projects I have tried in the past. I realy
want to try this with as much of patience that is possibly required.

I do not have yet a single plant, but I have been reading a lot, and
now I think I am ready to begin mailing in this discussion group.

Much of the delay is due to two factors in my case:

1.- I have been doing all the C.I.T.E.S. paper work.

2.- As far as I know, I am the only soul in my country trying to
explore in the CP area. This is confirmed by the fact that the
importation section of the agricultural department of Chile (SAG) has
not ever got previously any request on letting in any CP before my
case. Chile is a phytologic island from the biologic point of view,
much of our economy is based on the cultivation and exportation of
fruits, and this makes it extemly difficult to import any new kind of
botanical specimen.

I thik under theese conditions, I will profoundly apreciate any help
I can get, and I am also very optimistic becouse I thik it will be at
last possible after all.

Right now I don't think it will be particularly forbidden to import
any of the plants we intend to begin with. Becouse the paperwork
mentioned has been and also will be particularly difficult and
tedious, we thik not only to try with the suggested begginer's plants
suggested by the literature, but also we will try some of the more
difficult plants. We know we have no experience, but we have planned
to set up all the conditions necesary to folow as precicely as
possibble the indications mentioned in the texts we have consulted.

The species we want to begin with include:
Drosera
Sarracenia
Utricularia
Cephalotus
Dionaea muscipula

We think other particularly difficult species such as Nepenthes will
be left for later.

Right now we are concerned with the importation of live Sphagnum.
This my be realy forbidden, I think, more than the actual CP. I am
not realy sure of this yet. But I will be particularly thankful if
you give me any information you can on the type of live Sphagnum
required for some the above mentioned CP.

First of all I would like to know exactly what species of Sphagnum is
required for Cephalotus and Dionaea muscipula, becouse in chile they
ask forthe exact species. We have tried to investigate the several
existent species of Sphagnum, but all of the species we found live
mainly in the subartic climates wo we don't thik that theese species
would be the ones that live in North Carolina or Australia.

Secondly, I have seen that many horticultural suggestions aim at
using live sphagnum with several CP. But some of them do not exclude
the alternative use of dead peat moss for Cephalotus and Dionaea
muscipula. Considering the difficulties we are about to face, it is
extemly important for us to have a precise idea about how much
indispensable it is for these CP that the Sphagnus be alive.

We forsee that the other difficulty we will be facing (once all
these legal steps have been taken) will be that we are importing
plants from the oposite hemisphere. Thats why, when available, we
will be trying adult plants, tissue culture plants, and seeding.

Thank you for your patience reading this long message. Any help will
be very welcome.

Bye,

Jose Gengler
Chile.