D. regia propagation

From: Michael Zenner (mvz@agora.rdrop.com)
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 00:21:59 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 00:21:59 -0800
From: Michael Zenner <mvz@agora.rdrop.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. regia propagation

>I know that regia can be propagated from root cuttings. But can it also
>be propagated by leaf cuttings? I was also thinking of cuttung the crown
>off and rooting that (similar to capensis) with the original root stalk
>hopefully pushing
>up new foliage from that. I am reluctant to do so as this is my only
>one. would like some foolproof method as I am trying to replace these
>for my source, as he lost all of his, and don't want to lose mine in the
>process.

The best method I have found for propagating D. regia is root layering.

Make sure and established plant is potted in a large container (I use 8"
[20cm] pots). Take one of the plant's larger roots, and leaving it
attached to the plant, lay it out horizontally. Cover the root with a
small layer of the potting medium (peat/sand or peat/perlite). Within a
few weeks you should have several small plantlets appearing along the
length of the root. When they have 4 or 5 leaves, you can go ahead and
separate them from the parent plant.

Be careful when doing this, as D. regia seems to really dislike root
disturbance. I try to just dig out one root without disturbing the others.

This method turned one plant into six for me in a matter of a couple of
months.

Good luck!

        -Michael

Michael Zenner, CFII mvz@agora.rdrop.com