pyrethrin's?

From: Bill Tribe (wrt20@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 11:37:30 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 11:37:30
From: Bill Tribe <wrt20@cam.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: pyrethrin's?

>FYI, Please avoid spraying Drosera with a pyrethrin pesticide. I
>learned the hard way.
>
>David

  David, could you expand on this message? I've been using pyrethrum based
pesticide for some time with few ill effects; the tentacles on some Drosera
species (most notably D. capensis) occasionally fold in, but I've never had
lasting damage to the plants, and the stuff seems very effective. I
generally use only a very light dose, so maybe I'm just below the damage
threshold....

  The only plant I've seen any serious effect on is S. flava - on a couple
of occasions the whole upper part of a pitcher has died a day or two after
spraying (these are relatively new and robust pitchers so I can only think
it is the spray). Again, though, no plants were lost. On the rare occasions
when I feel the need, I still use it on sarracenias, but I'm now very
careful to direct the spray on to the rhizome rather than the pitchers, as
this is where the unwanted crawlies always seem to be. Since adopting this
approach I've had no problems.

Thanks

Bill Tribe
Cambridge, UK