Re: pyrethrin's?

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 07:17:14 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:17:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: pyrethrin's?

> >FYI, Please avoid spraying Drosera with a pyrethrin pesticide. I
> >learned the hard way.
> >David
> David, could you expand on this message? I've been using pyrethrum based
> pesticide for some time with few ill effects;

> The only plant I've seen any serious effect on is S. flava - on a couple
> of occasions the whole upper part of a pitcher has died a day or two after
> spraying (these are relatively new and robust pitchers so I can only think
> it is the spray). Again, though, no plants were lost. On the rare occasions
> when I feel the need, I still use it on sarracenias, but I'm now very
> careful to direct the spray on to the rhizome rather than the pitchers, as
> this is where the unwanted crawlies always seem to be. Since adopting this
> approach I've had no problems.

> Bill Tribe
> Cambridge, UK

FWIW, I still use Schultz's brand pyrethrin on my Sarrs. occasionally.
Damage to the traps has tended to be to the softest part of newly
opended pitchers. Once a pitcher has been open a few days it "hardens
off" and will no longer be damaged. Spraying in bright sunlight makes
the problem a little worse.

BTW, I have not found it to be very effective for scale.
Tom in Fl.