SV: Fixtures using tubes

From: Haakan Murevaern (murevarn@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 15:37:25 PDT

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 00:37:25 +0200
From: "Haakan Murevaern" <murevarn@algonet.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: SV: Fixtures using tubes

Hi Jose and list,

Got some questions from Jose and share this information to the list

> First, know there are energy saving BULBS. Are there energy saving
> TUBES for 200V? Do they use a special different ballast?

I do not think there is able to get long tubes with built in driver
("ballast").
There is something called compact flourescent tubes but they have a separate
driver ("ballast") also.

> Second. Recomended quantity of ilumination for the terrarium I am
> building is 4 to 6 3000 Lumen bulbs which adds up to a total of 1200
> to 1800 Lumens. If I use 3 fixtures with one 40W TUBE (3000 Lumens)
> each, that would add up to exactly the half of the ilumination I
> need. Should I use more luminous (eg 6000 Lumens each) tubes if I
> use tubes? Or becouse the tube illuminates the whole terrarium with
> the same intensitiy, would 3000 lumen tubes be enough?

I can give the following info on lumen. What I can say is that the
intensity of light at your plants is calculated in Lux that is the lumen
per area (m2). Assume your lamp is sending out 3000 lumen. If you are
able to use a ideal (non existent) reflector that put all your lumens on
1 square meter (m2). You will get 3000 lumens/m2 or 3000 lux.

That is exactly what I have measured (with light meter) on my plants
with tree 50 W tubes and a good reflector at a distance of approx 300 mm
from plants. The distance is deciding how great area that get light.
The reflector width is 300 mm.

You can assume you will have approx 3000 lux with tree 40 W tubes and a good
reflector at 300 mm because it is the distance that is important.

The plants are doing fine in this light that correspons to shadow.

Full sun is over 100000 lux
Half shadow over 40000 lux

So if you place your terrarium near a window they will do even better.
But then you must have enough ventilation.

Best regards

Haakan Murevaern
See my Carnivorous Plants at
http://www.algonet.se/~murevarn