Small Nepenthes species and nitrogen fertilizers

From: Kurt Gereck (k205-go@northcoast.com)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 16:09:00 PDT

Date: 4/17/1998 16:9
From: Kurt Gereck <k205-go@northcoast.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Small Nepenthes species and nitrogen fertilizers

I have heard of a Nepentheses species that has pitchers the
size of a thimble at mature size, is this true? If so what
is the species name?
  Also I found the synthetic fertilizer sodium nitrate at
my local plant nursery. I have heard of people using fish
blood for a mild fertilizer when plants produce flower
stalks, but has anyone experienced using this other
nitrogen-rich product? It contains sixteen percent
nitrogen with no other nutrients (compared to twelve
percent for dried blood).
 I have also heard that fish emulsion can be diluted and
sprayed on foliage (another nitrogen fertilizer). It is
called a foliar spray when this is done. Has anyone tried
this on the outsides of pitchers or traps? Can fertilizers
like these be used on a regular basis like superthrive, or
should insects provide enough nitrogen for a plant?