Re: Killing Metal Halide Lights

From: Laurent Legendre (laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 22 1998 - 07:32:11 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:32:11 +0100
From: Laurent Legendre <laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Killing Metal Halide Lights

Hi Gilles,

I've had the same experience with neon tubes designed for aquaria and which
emitted too much in the blue light range. I can also tell you that what
works on Drosera also works on Pinguicula to some extend, mostly the ones
from the south eastern USA.

Just compensate this defect by adding some neon tubes with warm light
(emitting more red radiations). With my neon tubes, I used an equal number
of cool and warm light tubes. These other fluorescent bulbs are also sold
by aquarium shops. In my hands, they tend to favor leaf growth and prevent
flower formation.

I hope it helps.

Laurent Legendre

Laurent Legendre
Universite de Reims Champagne-Ardenne
Laboratoire de Biologie et Physiologie Vegetales
Equipe de Biochimie Vegetale et de Biologie Moleculaire des Plantes
UFR Sciences
Moulin de la Housse - BP 1039
51 687 REIMS cedex 2
France