artificial outdoor bog plans

From: Dustin Howarth (howarth@pulsenet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 08:39:40 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:39:40 -0400
From: "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: artificial outdoor bog plans

Hi all -

I received a number of responses to my intro post about growing Sarracenias
outdoors in an artificial bog -- Thanks. A few list members suggested that
I keep the posts on the list for the benefit of anyone interested.

My main reason for contacting list members (other than finding potential
trading partners) was to find out if anyone had experimented with creating
a 'functioning' seepage bog. From what I know about natural bogs in the
wild (from work with The Nature Conservancy and the VA Dept. of
Conservation & Recreation), the hydrology of bog sites often creates a
surface flow of water through the area.
I assume that replicating this flow action could be beneficial as an
alternative to 'standing' wet soil.

I was thinking of a system with a bog built on a slight grade with a small
pool below (a chance to grow plants from another habitat type) from which
water is pumped to the top of the
bog, where it would flow via gravity and 'seep' back to the pool, perhaps
through an attractive rock outcropping below the bog (yet another
micro-habitat -- know anything that would grow in that situation?). The
trick would seem to be getting the right depth and amount of water to all
of the plants. But since some species prefer very wet feet, and others
like it only moist, I think that all could be happy if placed properly.

A friend of mine has done something similar in large (10 ft. by 4 ft.)
trays in a greenhouse for South African Disa orchids that require wet feet,
but won't tolerate standing water. His trays have a slight grade, and
water is pumped from a barrel to the high side for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times
a day, and the water simply drains slowly back into the barrel. I want to
translate this idea to a naturalistic outdoor bog. I'm sure the plants
would live happily without the flow, but I'm looking for a project. What
do you think?

Dustin
howarth@pulsenet.com
Pittsburgh, PA