RE: artificial outdoor bog plans

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 08:56:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:56:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: artificial outdoor bog plans

Hi Dustin,

I think your idea of creating an bog that mimics natural drainage is a
great one. The engineering part is beyond me but the idea of observing
the the moisture differences in the bog and deciding where to place cp's
is fascinating.

>From field observations, I've seen S. psittacina growing submerged in
water and have overwintered several outdoor in a plastic container
completely submerged. And like the books say, they survived and grew
the following spring when I moved them to a nearby bog. D. intermedia
also likes growing in very wet conditions while D. capillaris likes it a
little drier. That comes from an observation last week where I saw D.
itnermedia growing in moss seeping with water while the D. capillaris
were not present with the intermedia but were found a few feet further
in from the pond/swamp. I've also noticed that D. capillaris is the cp
that seems to grow the furtherest out from a bog. North Amercian (at
least the Southern ones) like somewhat drier conditions but I haven't
observed enough of the species to know whether there are differences in
what they like concerning moisture levels. In a bog in Florida, Sarr
and D. capillaris were growing right in the heaviest, water-soaked areas
of the bog, while Pinguiculas were found further away where brush cover
started. Not so sure, though, if water level is a factor or brush cover
is a factor. It's probably both. The other thing I noticed is that D.
filiformis v tracyi also grew is somewhat drier areas that Sarr and the
D. capillaris that were common in the very wet areas of the bog.

I've not seen the tall growing Sarr growing in submerged conditions so
I'll conclude for now that they are not as water tolerant as S.
psittacina. Other members on the list can certainly add to this
observation and general conclusion. Sarr certainly tolerate, though,
being right next to standing water. What I've seen S. flava do is grow
right at the edge of large tire tracks made when a forest was cut, but
the flavas were not growing in the tire tracks where standing water can
occur.

Good luck,
David