Drosera scorpioides cultivation

From: Brian Evans (B.M.Evans@exeter.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 08:52:54 PDT

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:52:54 PDT
From: Brian Evans <B.M.Evans@exeter.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera scorpioides cultivation

Dear all..........

Can anyone give me some advice about a couple of problems, please?
The first one is about Drosera scorpioides. I have tried growing them several times but they always fade away slowly
during the summer, or die suddenly during the winter.
They are kept with many other Drosera species which thrive in the same conditions. Minimum winter temperature is
around 40 Fahrenheit, summer maximum about 110 F. They stand in shallow water during the summer, and I have tried
both wet and almost dry storage in the winter. The growing medium is the original one from the supplier(s). Can anyone
suggest why they don\222t survive?

The second problem is identification of a Drosera grown from seed collected by a friend in South Africa. It is an upright
plant, about 4cm high after one season. The leaves are very similar to D. Capensis but grow at random up the stem. It
seems to need high temperature and humidity, at least to germinate. The parent plant was apparently growing in sandy
soil on a mountain side. Which species could this be?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Evans