Benlate toxicity

From: Peter Costen (pcosten@guernsey.net)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 09:25:18 PDT

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:25:18 BST
From: pcosten@guernsey.net (Peter Costen)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Benlate toxicity

I've been lurking on the list for a while now - I am new to both CPs and
using e-mail - but could I try to add something to the Benlate (benomyl)
thread.

Andy wrote -

> Isn't Benomyl/Benlate also restricted because of its supposed links with
> birth defects, in particular infants born with no eyes?

There is an article in the British Medical Journal of 18 May 1996 (volume
312, page 1247) which says "The US chemical giant Dupont, maker of the
pesticide benomyl, could face compensation claims from up to 40 British
families whose children were born without eyes, depending on the outcome of
a court case that started this week in Florida" Perhaps this is the case
that was mentioned earlier in the thread - I've never heard the outcome -
it must be decided by now? The article carries a photograph of a 9 year old
boy without eyes whose mother used Benlate as a garden spray early in her
pregnancy. It goes on to say that "Dupont withdrew Benlate from the
British domestic market last year (i.e. 1995), but it is still used in
agriculture."

Despite my (previous) silence I greatly enjoy the list and am learning all
the time.

Peter Costen
pcosten@guernsey.net