Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

From: Andrew Bernuetz (andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 01:01:10 PDT

Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 18:01:10 +1000
From: Andrew Bernuetz <andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

Martin and others,

I have been breeding Sarracenias for about 10 years now. I have mainly
focused on breeding plants which are attractive, vigorous, hardy, and do
not fall over when it rains. The last problem is common with many upright
Sarracenias. I also wanted some plants which grew exceptionally fast, and
you are correct in saying S. oreophylla is useful in this regard. I do have
various plants from all types of crosses betwen flava, rubra and
oreophylla. However, most are only single or a few plants at present so
trading any is out of the question. Also, living in Australia (near Sydney)
I have not been able to select for cold tolerance, which I guess is what
you are after. Try finding a supplier in an area similar to yours who has
some old clones that have repeatedly withstood the cold conditions. I am
sure you will find a few hybrids which will meet your needs.

Happy growing.

Andrew Bernuetz.

Martin wrote:

I was wondering if somebody ever tried to make a very hardy Sarracenia with
upright pitchers, which would be suitable for outside cultivation in
W-Europe.

Interesting would be hybrids with S. rubra ssp. jonesii, S. flava and S.
oreophila, also because hybrids with oreophila have a "hybrid vigour" effect,
so the resulting hybrid could be hardier then either parents.
So, does anybody know if any such hybrid exists, and if yes, how I could get
material of it?
Thanks in advance,

Martin Zevenbergen