RE: CP germination

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed May 06 1998 - 12:06:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 15:06:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: CP germination

I thought I would post to the list the results that Wim got germinating
the seeds I sent out in January.

Others have sent in their results, too, and found pretty much the same
thing. It's nice to see that 2 year old S. hybrid seed ((flava x
purpurea) x flava...... germinated at 75%. All seed are stored dry in
the refrigerator in sealed plastic.

Wim, did you stratify the seed? It would be nice to compare germination
percentages for someone who did and someone who didn't stratify the
seed.

David
 ----------
To: David Mellard

Dear David,

I have made an inventory of the germinated seeds you have send me, for
which I thank you again.

I cannot give an exact germination rate as I have not counted the number
of seeds, but when I write 100% that means : more than I can count.

S. flava red veined Miramar Beach FLA 100 %
S. flava red tube Miramar Beach FLA 100 %
S. flava red throat, rugelii Walton country FLA 100 %
S. alata Ocean City co MI 100 %
S. leucophylla Crest View FLA 100 %
S. x? (flava x purp) x flava ? Walton country FLA 75 %
S. minor Berkerly Country FLA 100 %
S. psittacina large red Miramar Beach FLA 100 %

Pretty the same germination rate, he ?!

Seeds I have collected myself germinate at a near 100 % rate. Seeds that
I received from other sources, never showed this viability; that is
until now : I have *never* received so many seeds that gave such a high
germination rate as the seeds you've send me ! Thanks again !

Kind regards
Wim