FL Dionaea

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Wed May 06 1998 - 23:24:57 PDT

Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 02:24:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: FL Dionaea

Trent, tut tut ... should've pulled birthday rank and joined us. It was
a real blast. 'specially the crazy dinner people.

We did see a ton of nifty Sarracenia: S.psittacenia, S.flava,
S.leucophylla, S.purpurea and a ton of confusing but very cool hybrids.
Also lots of D.intermedia, D.capillaris and D.filliformis var. tracyii and
possibly some D.filliformis var. filliformis which I didn't believe grew
in FL but these plants had distinctly red glands. And, Utric-o-phile that
I am, I was thrilled to see U.purpurea flowering in a few locations,
U.gibba in flower, U.subulata of course, some U.inflata and a new one for
me: U.striata in full bloom along the side of the road in a couple of
places. (But no U.resupinata, U.simulans or U.amethystina sadly...)
There were also some P.planifolia, and a few P.'something that could be
lutea or caerulea or anything else because they weren't flowering and
honestly the plants all look about the same to me.'

And of course those Dionaea. I only saw them in one spot, so I'm
wondering if it mightn't have been the same spot that was mentioned
earlier, but since Bob was doing most of the "finding," I'm not really
sure where that spot was. :)

Oh, and strangely enough, no Nepenthes. Maybe it just wasn't the time of
year....

I took a ton of pictures (and I mean *a ton* - started into the 9th roll
of 36 exposure film. I seemed to have used about 1 of every 5 to take a
picture of Drosera flowers for some reason, though.) and they turned out
great! One of these days when I'm not trying to cram 34 hours of work into
a 24 hour day, I'm going to try to write something up and let Bob fill his
details and we'll put it along with the best photos on the TBCPC website.
(Although if anyone is really desiring to see the photos, they can come by
my place and I'll be happy to let them look through them. Just call first
if you would.)

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)