Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

From: DDembicki (DDembicki@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 05:50:09 PDT

Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 08:50:09 EDT
From: DDembicki <DDembicki@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

Can you also do this with Drosera and VFT? I live in Michigan and have always
moved the entire bog collection into a heated garage (around 30 degree F in
winter). I'm tired of moving everything. Does this mean I don't have to
anymore?

Dan Dembicki

<< If you are growing your Sarrs in pots or in containers and wish to leave
 them outdoors for their dormancy period over winter: Plunge (don't
 transplant unless you have a bog) them in a _sheltered_ (wind free or
 mulched, very important) location that, in the best of all worlds, receives
 some sun.

 Wind dessication in winter/dormancy is a sure way to lose your potted
 plants. I have come to believe that "dormant" Sarrs benefit from sunlight
 during said dormancy. They seem to come through it healthier and more ready
 to go and bloom in the spring than others that are deprived of light in
 storage.

 Just a personal observation, of my own plants.

 Kind Regards,

 Rand

 Rand Nicholson
 New Brunswick