RE: VFT culture

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 14:41:51 PDT

Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 14:41:51 -0700 (MST)
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: VFT culture

At 10:29 AM 5/8/98 -0700, Gary wrote:

>In my experience, pampering these plants like they were some sort of
>hothouse flower will certainly weaken it, if not kill it. I agree with
>Carl. Grow it outside making sure the growing medium is kept wet during the
>summer. If you don't fill your pot to the top with soil--I find living
>sphagnum works best as a top dressing--the local humidity provided by the
>damp substrate within the high walls of the pot is enough, even if grown
>outdoors. Mine are exposed to FULL sun from sunrise to about 3:00pm, when
>nearby buildings block the direct rays of the sun. My plants have never
>been happier.
Just keep in mind that no two growing situations are alike. It sounds like
you have very good conditions for growing outdoors :-) ...others may not.
Here in the Arizona desert (high heat & low humidity) outdoor growing is not
an option, period. I have yet to have a VFT survive more than an hour in
the sun no matter how well I try to acclimate them. Even a day outdoors in
the summer shade (110F-120F) is fatal. I have been growing in terraria for
several years now and find that when given enough light they will thrive,
perhaps not quite as well as being outdoors in a friendly climate, but
thrive just the same.

Adjust your growing conditions to your environment and then keep on
experimenting.

Good growing,
John in Phoenix