Growing tips

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 15:35:32 PDT

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 15:35:32 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Growing tips

Hi,

> Good advice written by Gary Kong and Doug Burdic, regarding growing
> vfts. Something to keep in mind when we are passing along our most
> treasured growing tips. Not everybody lives where CPs grow wild, tall
> and thick.

Thanks for your comments Charles. :^) Always good to pass on what we've
learned over many growing seasons to others who are just starting out,
since this knowledge has only been acquired through disastrous failures
and encouraging successes.

---------------

I wanted to pass along two growing tips I've learned, which might save
the seed pods of your plants:

If you are growing Sarracenia in an enclosed environment where the wind
and rain can't knock off the old petals, remove them by hand. If you
don't, they can develop fungus and rot the developing seed pod since
the nectar acts like a glue which plasters them to the pod where they
decay. I just noticed 3 or 4 Sarracenia seed pods in my greenhouse that
are now half destroyed because I didn't have the time to check each
plant that closely this year.

Secondly, if your growing area is cluttered like mine is and you
accidentally break off a flower stalk that you've already pollinated,
don't immediately mutter a few choice words and disgard it. I broke off
a Pinguicula lutea flower stalk this year accidentally and instead of
tossing it, I placed it in a pot of live sphagnum moss. This happened
shortly after I had selfed the flower and in the sphagnum, it proceeded
to develop a mature seed pod which split open today exposing fully
developed seed. I'm not sure if this would work on other species, but if
I had this kind of success with a tender Pinguicula flower stalk, there
is a good chance it would.

For what it's worth....

Good Growing,

Doug