Re: D.cistiflora and dormancy

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 10 1998 - 15:08:42 PDT

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 23:08:42 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.cistiflora and dormancy

In message <09531576838034@split.it>, Tassara <strega@split.it> writes
>Hi list!
>I have a few small D.cistiflora grown from seed this winter.
>Now it's getting hot and I'd like to let them go dormant.
>I've read they can tolerate completely dry soil for a long period.
>I tried to dry out four of them but I think they have died: the leaves dried
>out; I checked the root of one of them and found that this too had a dead
>appearance. With them was a small D.gigantea and I'm sure it's dead.
>I know tuberous sundews need some weeks to form the tuber and in that period
>they must be kept slightly moist.
>But D.cistiflora doesn't need time to form any tuber.
>Any suggestion would be very appreciated.
>Thank you and good growing!

I try to keep D. cistiflora plants (seedlings or mature plants) damp for
at least a few weeks after they have gone dormant. I doubt that it is as
important for D. cistoflora though since as you state they don't form a
tuber.

On the surface the plants look completely dead. The roots probably look
completely dead too - it really is surprising that they grow back at
all.

If you have plants still growing do not try to force them into dormancy.
They will die down when they are ready. Unlike tuberous Drosera I am
fairly certain that D. cistiflora only start into growth again when the
conditions are right. These are re-wetting the soil and cooler
temperatures. So to wake your plants up wet the soil again in the autumn
and wait (they can take anything from three to eight weeks to reappear.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Wilson