Re: Raging Borneo and nepenthes

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 04:37:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 07:37:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Raging Borneo and nepenthes

Trevor wrote:

> I'm concerned about the state of the nepenthes in areas such as Borneo
> which are currently consumed by fire; natural, or via slash&burn that got
> out of hand.

So are we all. It's frustrating that there seems to be little
we can do about it.

> Though they may not be subject to the fires, sunlight blockage (of any
> signifcant amount) and pollutants in the air seem to be a possible hazard
> to the plants. Though I'm sure they have survived it before.

Another worry that wasn't mentioned is drought. When last I heard (a
week ago) the area around Mt. Kinabalu hadn't had any rainfall since
December. The tourist accommodations just below the summit normally
handle 200 people, and are now restricted to 30 tourists at a time because
of the lack of water.

It's hard for me to imagine what the place is like under these conditions,
since it was so wet when I was there. And how is all of this affecting
the flora and fauna of the region? They've probably survived this
sort of thing before, as Trevor said. But I'm sure it's a setback.

Regards,

Perry Malouf