Algae and Drosera seedlings

From: Elliot Smith (e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 18 1998 - 03:27:12 PDT

Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 11:27:12 +0100
From: Elliot Smith <e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Algae and Drosera seedlings

I have some very small Drosera capensis seedlings which are about a week
old, and have noticed the peat moss they are in has algae growing on the
surface. I realise that this is probably OK with larger plants (having
read previous digests about it), but I'm worried about this stuff
smothering the smaller seedlings, and/or preventing the other seed from
germinating. I've removed some of the algae, but I'm sure it will come
back.

The usual advice is to repot the seedlings in fresh medium, but I reckon
handling them at this age could well kill them. Can anyone suggest a way
to hold off the algae until the seedlings establish? For information,
they are in pure sphagnum peat moss, in full sunlight, standing in
rainwater to keep up humidity and soil wetness, and are uncovered.

--
Elliot Smith
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham