D. peltata ssp.

From: Mark T. Bachelor (bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Mon May 25 1998 - 18:27:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 11:27:57 +1000
From: "Mark T. Bachelor" <bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. peltata ssp.

Carnivorous Plants Total Listing compiled by Gordon Ohlenrott for VCPS has
the following listing for D. peltata in the 1997 update.

Drosera peltata ssp. auriculata
ssp. peltata var. typica
var. foliosa
var. genuina
var. glabrata
var. gunniana
var. lunata
var. multisepala
var. nipponica
"var. green rosette/pink petal"
"var. red rosette/white petal"
"var. white petal/orange ovary"
"var. Western Australia" - orange plant, small white flower
ssp. gracilis
"ssp. Fitzgerald, Western Australia" - red blotch on white petal

"Carnivorous Plants Total Listing" is available through Triffid Park or
directly from the society. I will post Gordon's e-amil address after I see
him tomorrow night.
Also available is a growing guide for the plants in the society members'
collections which covers how we grow our plants under local conditions. In
recent years the society has made moves to increase our collection of TD so
that we get a wider representation in our mid-year TD show. D. peltata is
such a common local plant it rarely rates an entry, unless it is one of the
non-typical forms.

'Plants of Prey' by Rica Erickson (which pre-dates D. auriculata being
listed as D. peltata ssp. auriculata) lists the difference between D.
peltata and D. auriculata as being D. peltata's hairy sepels, more rounded
seeds, greener appearence and the fact that D. peltata will not open its
flowers unless in full sunshine, while D. auriculata will flower in partial
shade and on cloudy days.

"A Handbook to Plants In Victoria" by J. H. Willis also distinguishes the
two by the seed shape (peltata - ovoid, auriculata - linear) and peltata's
hairy sepels. It also mentions D. gracilis and states that all such
Victorian plants are D. peltata and the Tasmania form has been given species
status, then reduced a variant and then restored to a species dispite there
being little difference. As the Head of the Victorian Herbarium he failed
to find any Victorian plant worthy of such a distinction.

D. peltata ssp. gracilis grows in the peaty ground of Tasmania heaths, has
unbranching stems, narrower sepels, smaller petals and narrower, slightly
winged seeds and was first described in 1848 by Hook.

Regards

Mark T Bachelor
Biology Technican
Melbourne Girls Grammar School Voice: +61 (03) 9866 1676
South Yarra, Victoria, Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768
Australia 3141

STAV National Science Week Family Day Co-ordinator