Sarracenia variations

From: James Tovee (106361.2125@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 11:26:18 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 14:26:18 -0400
From: James Tovee <106361.2125@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia variations

        Last year several of the sarracenia flowers were unusual. The
umbrella part had divided in varying degrees. Some were divided right bac=
to the ovary. This year only one flower shows this defect. Last years
flower must have been damaged in their development, by insects, fungus or=

mites.
        This year I have a seedling that has what I call a more primative=

pitcher. The pitcher has the normal lid, but the pitcher is like a
heliamphor. The front cleavage is very distinct and the same proportions =
as
a heliamphor minor. The plant had normal juvenile pitchers, it has these
two 5 inch pitchers showing cleavage. There is a third pitcher growing. =
thought the flowers were a temporary variation last year. These pitchers =
do
have a chance of being permanent as the have two identical pitchers growi=
ng
at slightly different times. The third pitcher at present only have grown=

may reinforce my hope. The plant came a seed from a red tube flava. It i=
heavily veined with some diffusion of colour inbetween the veins. The tub=
is very narrow as are all red tube seedlings are that I have grown.

        Jim Tovee