Re: Is smoking dangerous to your Nepenthes?

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 20:09:48 PDT

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 20:09:48 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Is smoking dangerous to your Nepenthes?

dave evans wrote:

> Dear Doug,
>
> > I've been a cigarette smoker for 30 years and grown CP including
> > Nepenthes during that time with no ill effects to my plants whatsoever.
> > One of the original pesticides used in early horticultural days was
> > Nicotine Sulfate as a matter of fact. There is a plant virus called
> > Tobacco Mosiac Virus which can be transmitted by a smoker's hands to
> > members of the Solanaceae family like potatoes & tomatoes, eggplant,
> > etc, but not to cp.
>
> I understand TMV can also be transmitted to Orchids. Also, I don't
> know what family it belong to, but someone (a cigar/cigarette smoker)
> once asked me to look at a failing _Cannabis_ plant to find out how to
> help it back to health. It had a mosiac pattern of yellow the whole
> plant over. The pattern was actually ugly to look at, and most parts
> that were yellow were also somewhat constricted or malformed. I told
> him it was as good as dead and that his smoking had killed it. I'm
> positve it was TMV, and I'm fairly sure Cannabis isn't in _Solanaceae_.
> Perhaps you have been lucky with your plants.
>
> Dave Evans

Hi Dave,

Interesting...could be possible since I've heard of rare cases of
Foxglove being infected with TMV. There are so many mosaic plant
viruses, that without the aid of an electron microscope, it's hard to
tell them apart since the symptoms observed are for all practical
purposes, identical to those caused by other mosaic viruses. That's
interesting about your friend's ailing Cannabis plant..I wonder if the
mosaic virus inhaled?

Doug