Re: Seeds and Stems #2

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 11:46:56 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 14:46:56 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seeds and Stems #2

Howdy folks. Peter here at California Carnivores. Here it is the end of May
and the dry season should have started a month ago, and we are being deluged
by a "winter storm" that's dropped 4" of rain here since yesterday! Will
summer ever come to Northern California? Our Sarracenia outdoors look like
it's March. We've had seven months and 90 inches of rain, rain, rain, plus
chilly temperatures in the 40s and 50s.
We suffer malaise.
     I was happy to hear Glenn of the Rankin Clan witnessed D. pauciflora in
flower, and thanks to Doug up in Oregon on the definition of the species name
(that was you, wasn't it Doug?)
     Everyone who ordered The Savage Garden prior to last week or so should
find their copy in their mailbox by Saturday. One copy sent Tuesday to
Virginia got there Thursday. Hope they arrive in good shape. We were like
Ethel and Lucy at the Chocolate Factory packin' 'em up! Thanks, Craig and
Richard for the kind comments.
     Ten Speed says the first edition is almost sold out, but it will go into
a second printing shortly. There are a few typos that will be corrected by
that time. One of the most glaring is under the acknowledgements: Dr. Don
Schnell has nothing to do with the University of Virginia (this was not in the
final final final proofs of the book, so one of the editors must have wrongly
assumed he was since others in that paragraph were associated with
Universities). I had written simple "of Virginia". Also, to my horror the
photographer of the N. hamata was listed as "Lee Notley". An editor must have
misread a correction I made to the name of the photographer: "Notley (Lee)
Maddox." Apparently a long fax of typos sent to Ten Speed was lost in space,
so there are a few misspellings here and there. Under a discussion of the
Atlanta Botanical Gardens in the conservation suppliment they list their
address as the Atlantic Botanical Gardens! Ron and Ron, forgive us!
       Well back to the mud outside. Will you folks in the hot southeast
please send some heat and sunshine to Northern California? Please?
        Th-th-th-th-that's all folks! Those of you at the Frankfurt
Convention: have as much fun as we did last year at the Atlantic -ahem!-
Atlanta Botanical Gardens!
Peter