Re: greenhouse pests/raccoons

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 11:13:23 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 14:13:23 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: greenhouse pests/raccoons

       What type of trap do you use Charles, and what bait? I only have
     managed to get one, and that was using fried chicken left overs.
      Regarding catching raccoons, I use a Havehart(sp) professional trap.
     Cost is about 80 dollars. I use the cheapest cat food I can find and
     dig a small hole in the ground, place the can of cat food in the hole,
     then place the large trap over top the bait, so the raccoon must enter
     the trap, go all the way to the back and as he is trying like crazy to
     get the bait, he is forced to step on the pressure plate. I use the
     method as raccoon are not dumb animals and will avoid stepping on the
     pressure plate and stealing the bait. Another method I use is to put
     the bait into a cloth bag and tying the bait to the back of the trap.
     Raccoons will get so involved trying to steal the bait that they
     forget about the pressure plate. Raccoons like to steal the food and
     carry it off to a safer place and eat in peace.
      I purchased my trap at a local feed store called southern states.
     This was about 5 years ago and for me, the trap has paid for it's self
     over and over. I have trapped so many raccoons over the years, i could
     had made money selling raccoons skin coats,BUT!!, I did not.
                          Charles