greenhouse pests/raccoons

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 10:22:02 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 10:22:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: greenhouse pests/raccoons

Hi Friends,
> Interesting problem. I've got my pygmy drosera in a friend's greenhouse
> in domed pots with the lids slightly ajar. A recent visit revealed that
> something had been up on the benches DIGGING in the pots. I don't think

> I know that mice have been seen in the greenhouse and the a rat has been
> around outside but it seems that neither is a likely suspect. Any ideas?
        The winter of 96/97, besides dropping trees on greenhouse and
other nasty surprises, revealed to me just how nasty, and sneaky a mouse
in the greenhouse can be. I discovered the thing had been digging tunnels
in the pots of nepenthes, favoring N. bicalcarata and N. ampullaria. The
solution is simple.
        Get several mouse traps, or if you think it is a rat, rat traps. I
use Victor brand as they are the best made, strongest and most efficiant.
The bait is a small dab of peanut butter mixed with a small dab of bacon
grease. For added effect, roll this in bird seed. Mold it to the bail
tray of the trap so that it is good and stuck. This mix should be good
and sticky. Tie the trap down, as rats will carry it away if they escape.
Set it carefully along walls, perpendicular to the wall, or where activity
has been seen. Good luck!

> Regarding raccoons, be very careful, They will dig up plants and in some cases,
> carry them off. I live near a very large swampy area with tons of frogs and
> couple of weeks ago. My solution is to trap these pest and turn them over to the
> animal control. Once a raccoons moves into an area, he is there until he is run
> off by dogs or removed. Raccoons tend to mark their territory by leaving piles
> animals are considered neighborhood pest and tend to get into everything. I have
> trapped over 7 raccoons since I moved into my house, less then two years ago.
> Every morning I go out to the greenhouse and look around it for foot prints. If
> noticed any, I will set a trap that night and usually catch the pest that night.
> Opossums are also a problem. They will tear open a purp pitcher to get after
> the dead and stinking bugs. Opossums eat anything dead or that smells rotten
        I have suffered the depradations of the damn raccoons and possums
every year since I started growing Cp. Possums are not a problem to trap
as they like Sardines. I have trapped so many I have lost count. Raccoons
on the other hand are not as easy. What type of trap do you use Charles,
and what bait? I only have managed to get one, and that was using fried
chicken left overs. I concur with everything you wrote on these pests and
will add that they are dangerous, at least raccoons can be. I know folks
having been attacked by them. I personally have been charged by one that
was so large as to intimidate rottwieler dogs. The thing must have
weighed 50lbs at least and meant business. I had accidentally come
accross it fighting with a smaller 'coon over a cat that they had just
killed.
        In thier proper place these animals are no problem, but in the
city they are a menace. Be careful.
        Take care and good growing
        Andrew