Re: Why use Latin

From: James Aldridge (jaldr@onramp.net)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 13:19:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 20:19:31 GMT
From: jaldr@onramp.net (James Aldridge)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Why use Latin

>I think the reason is: Latin is a dead language, so it must be used by
>plant taxonomists!

I'm not sure that Latin is used in any real sense by taxonomists today. =
Some
Latin words and certainly "Latinized" endings are used, but many genera =
and
specific epithets are actually quite regional. Take a look at animal and =
plant
binomials (scientific names) from around the world, and you will find =
many
regional words and spellings.

As for animal and plant taxonomic descriptions, I think you'll find them =
in the
language of the authors, or, quite likely, in English.=20

Jim

James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA
jaldr@onramp.net or jaldr@fwcds.pvt.tenet.edu
http://rampages.onramp.net/~jaldr