RE: Stratification

From: Richard T. Berg (bergrd@valunet.com)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 18:58:24 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 18:58:24 -0700
From: "Richard T. Berg" <bergrd@valunet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Stratification

> Thanks for the great info. Your comments imply that refrigerated Sarr
> seed do not need to be kept damp during refrigeration to ensure
> stratification. True?
> I'd like to know if anyone on the list has germinated the same seed
> with refrigerated storage and damp, refrigerated storage.
>
> It seems that I remember someone on the list comparing the germination
> of frozen Sarr seed to unstratified seed and got higher germiantion
> rates from frozen seed. I think the point about freezing seed is that
> it's not that it is required but rather that it is a way to quickly
> stratify seed when someone doesn't want to wait 3 months.
>
> David

 Yes, I second the 'Thank You'.. And Penn State is only about 1 hour from
me!.. May have to contact the good doctor!...

  I received some of the seed that David talks about and I tried to follow
the instructions of so many people/books on stratification of the Sarracenia
seeds... I placed the seeds on white paper towels and placed them in Ziploc
bags... I then added just enough water to thoroughly dampen the towels and
placed them in a back part of my fridge... I was anxious to get them sown so
I took them out at 4 weeks and thought to give them a 'hard freeze' as I had
once read in a CP book... After thawing I let them soak freely in a
room-temp glass of water then sowed directly on 1/2 peat, 1/2 course sand,
and a live sphagnum dressing on top... I had great results and had about
89-92% germination rates on these seed... I'm into Bonsai as well and this
is a similar treatment for many deciduous tree seed... My Japanese Black
pine seeds also germinated but with a lower percentage, only because the
seed were somewhat old...

                                                                                        ... Richard