Answering my own question!

From: Elliot Smith (e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 05:02:36 PDT

Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 13:02:36 +0100
From: Elliot Smith <e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Answering my own question!

Having just sent a message about UK fungicides, I scoured the web for
some information about carbendazim and benomyl, and their associations.
The most useful page I found was at:

http://users.wantree.com.au/~keywee/Chemicals/Sprays/Benomyl/

How reliable a source this is, I don't know. However, what was
interesting was the following:

'Since benomyl is a systemic fungicide, it is absorbed by plants through
the roots or the above-ground tissues. Once it is in the
plant, it accumulates in veins and at the leaf margins. The metabolite
carbendazim (MBC) seems to be the fungicidally active
agent. However, benomyl residues are quite stable, with 48 to 97%
remaining as the parent compound 21 to 23 days after
application. The residues are easily extracted from the plant in hot
water.'

I take this to mean that carbendazim is OK, as it is the active agent in
Benomyl. Does anyone else have any comments?

--
Elliot Smith
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham